Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Review of Cole World: The Sideline Story




The Review of Cole World: The Sideline Story
By: Dorian McCormick

This was by far one of the most highly anticipated albums of the year. All J. Cole fans will agree we’ve been waiting a long time to for the NC native to release his self proclaimed “timeless” album. To be honest after listening to the album, I can’t disagree.

To start off the album stays true to his previous mixtapes format as far a formula and subject matter. Cole has something on the album for everybody. His album touches grounds on relationship issues, his struggles to get to his position, as well as his current lifestyle. Also on the album are a couple of previously released singles but only two. The new content he has on there will more than satisfy hip hop lovers.

This album does have some highlights but all in all, u can play it all the way through. But for the sticklers out there that need some inspiration for some reason to buy this album I’ll give them a couple hot tracks. We’ll start off with “Nobody’s Perfect” feat. Missy Elliot. This to me was the most complete song on the album as far as hook and beat. It didn’t go into much lyric content but it’s a song you can smoke to, chill with your favorite girl, take a long ride to, or just think about life. Now for more lyric content, let’s go to Mr. Coles favorite track, “Sideline Story”. J. Cole seems to vent on his fight to reach the top. As he flows..

Some New York niggas thought it was funny callin' us bamma
Laughin' at the grammar cause they didn't understand us
Must've thought we slow,
But little do they know
I came up in here to take advantage of that shit ya'll take for granted
Opportunity that I would kill for
Looking at rappers like what the fuck you gotta deal for?!”

Also dismisses a potential gossip and beef by saying..

Some nigga ask me why Jay never shout me out
Like I’m supposed to give a fuck
Don’t you know that I be out in France
Where the fans throw they hands like Pacquiao

Not cause my looks, cause my hooks could knock Rocky out.”


For my final thoughts on this album, I believe J. Cole is doing a good job of upholding the quality of his music. A lot of musicians seem to not get its Quality over Quantity. It’s evident that J. Cole took his time to make this wonderful piece of art. If somehow J. Cole hasn’t established a huge fan base by now, this will be the album that will create a major demand for his music. Download on Itunes now! This is a must have.

No comments: